Sunday, May 16, 2010

Question from LaDorria

What is the health care like there?


ANSWER: Well, to put it simply: it's lacking. Basicly, if you can afford good healthcare then you can go to acredited hospitals where the staff of doctors have more than likely trained overseas. If you can not afford to go to these hospitals then there are many clinics that offer treatment but it's not guaranteed that you'll be diagnosed correctly or treated properly. They say most of the doctors who operate in such clinics have bought their medical degrees and the methods in which they practice are outdated. As of now, there are no government sponsored programs so people either receive poor treatment or medicate themselves, this is true for those who live in rural areas where clinics are few. A lot of people who can afford good treatment choose to travel to Singapore or Malaysia, believing that the doctors and facilities are modern and techniques are up to date. The government is planning over the next 4 years to implement a system for the poor, elderly and disabled but people are again doubting the quality of care that they will receive. The hospital that I plan on using is very modern and clean and so far I have no doubts that I will receive adequate care for my diabetes. I recently went to a dentist to have a tooth pulled and I must say that it was probably the best experience I've ever had at a dentist's office. The office was clean and used modern techniques and the cost was cheaper than what I would have paid in the U.S., only $100. But if you're local and you only make $150 p/month, then you would not choose this office since it's considered expensive.

There are community organizations that sponsor clinics here. On my trip to Medan, Indonesia, I was with my Malaysian friend and her mother who is a member of the Rotary Club. We stopped in a village so that we could dedicate a free clinic to the community. I must say, even though I had nothing to do with the clinic itself, it was a good feeling leaving there and knowing that the people would have access to a doctor and a dentist free of charge. As a matter of fact, my friend Sim was their very first dental patient since she had her wisdom pulled before the trip and she was very swollen so the dentist had a look (see photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment