Sunday, May 16, 2010

Question from Luis

Do you know how important going to school is to the native people?


ANSWER: This question could go either way. I have to speculate exactly what people think are important and what's not important to them. I have to assume that as a parent, you want your children to succeed and in my own father's words: To have more than they had growing up. Education is the key to that, whether it be from a student obtaining a degree or learning a skill that will allow them to support themselves and their family. Some parents may believe that if a child goes to high school then they will be more successful than them especially since it's only mandatory for a child to attend 9 years of school. Some parents may believe that if their child is able to support their family and take care of them then they are successful. I think most people here see successful people as professionals and therefore need an education. Since most of the school programs are government sponsored, it all depends on the means of the family to send their child to school. The entire world is not filled with responsible parents so it's likely that a lot of the children I see on the streets begging, their parents just don't care or are not able to insure that their children go to school.

Sorry if I couldn't be more specific, again, I'm going on my assumptions about people. I personally have not talked to native Indonesians regarding this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment